Monday, May 18, 2009

Morning has many shades

Last night I got to sleep around 1:00 AM, and it was a blissful journey.  The journey was short lived, though, as I woke up two hours later to an old friend I call "dehydration."  Aware that I could easily be awake for a while with this feeling, I ventured out to the kitchen and promptly downed three small glasses of water.  

Laying back in bed, I noticed that my eyelids seemed more elastic than usual, and upon further self-inspection, I found that no matter how I tried, I was unable to close them without wanting to open then right away.  Hours went by.  Very slowly.  Yet before I knew it the time was 5:00 AM and I had to leave my bed for want of a lighter and cooler atmosphere.

I tiptoed with shoes and sweater, out the front door (accidentally waking up Jon's dad) and breathed in the cool morning air.  The sun was peeking above the horizon just enough to create a deep blue glow at the otherwise dark hour.  Allowing my ears to wake, I was delighted and enchanted by the copious amount of birds that were singing happily as if the sun had been blessing them for hours.  The sound was peaceful for me at that time, but I knew that if it was any other time, and were I sleeping in a room with thinner walls, the noise would have been disruptive to a soundly sleeping, normal human being.  Normal was far from what I was feeling.

The alien chirps and songs were unlike bird noises that I had heard in quite a few years.  The freeness with which they sang was far from the strained and shy sounds that birds make in Boston; birds that seem to be more interested in surviving than singing.  Much like the human city dwellers.

I lost a lot of sleep, but the time was spent with happy relaxed thoughts, rather than feeling anxious about the recent events in my life.  That, at least was a wonderful change.  I can sleep other nights.  I am just happy to know that vacation has the right effect on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment