Yet nothing compares to the awesomeness of the article that I found about graffiti knitters in Vancouver. According to this fine piece of literature, there are actually quite a few "Yarn Bombers" all over the world. But the particular few in Vancouver actually go out in disguises (clothes with changable colors, detachable sleeves, hats, etc) and knit little tokens to poles, trees, and other conspicuous items, for the sake of adding a smile to someone's face.
What is even better about all of this, is that they are writing a book about Yarn Bombing. So you can go out to your local bookstore, and read up on how to become a Yarn Bomber. You know you want to!
Reading this made me remember though, that back in 2006 (OMG I can't believe I have been following that site this long), there was a post on CuteOverload.com, about a woman who knitted a sweater for a tree, which I would characterize as knitted graffiti.

The article tells me (yes it speaks to me and tells me things) that there was a Yarn Bombing organization that began in 2005 in Texas, called Knitta, and seeing as people are now writing books about it (Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti) and spreading the word via blogging, it seems like the perfect time to join! I should learn how to knit sweaters for pay phones, and pigeons! I have plenty of leftover yarn, and it is not going to do anything but sit, unless I put it to good use.
By all means check out the blog I have hyperlinked above. Also watch the video, which I found on the blog, which describes the ins and outs of guerrilla knitting. Too awesome.
I feel like I should join this hilarious movement and show the world some adorable yarn creations .
I am going to need a partner in crime though. Who's with me?
By all means check out the blog I have hyperlinked above. Also watch the video, which I found on the blog, which describes the ins and outs of guerrilla knitting. Too awesome.
I feel like I should join this hilarious movement and show the world some adorable yarn creations .
I am going to need a partner in crime though. Who's with me?


... OMG. SIGN ME UP!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Armand
lmk says: You could knit cozies for the various instruments that are shivering at Berklee. I am on my second dishcloth, so I'm not up to the task of bombing yet.
ReplyDeleteoh man, the tree-sweater just made my day
ReplyDeleteok so i've seen that tree sweater pic before, and thought it was HILARIOUS in and of itself, however the explanation behind makes it that much more hilarious. now i REALLY need to learn how to knit.
ReplyDelete