Growing up as an only child I learned the value of quiet time. I still consider my aptitude for entertaining myself when all is quiet and lonely one of my best qualities. I can hardly imagine myself without the constant need for something long and juicy curled up with me in bed. NO you pervert. I am talking about a good book. Books are my constant companions. I think it is an important part of my personal culture to have something to sink my mind into, as I was always around parents who love to read enlightening literature.
I was one of those kids who bragged about their reading level. "Well I read at an EIGHTH grade level. I'm only SEVEN." I was a total nerd, and I learned early on the types of books I did and did not like to read. I loved Watership Down, I hated Gulliver's Travels. Of course I was only ten when I read it, but ever since then I have never had a stomach for that old type of flowery high English. Beautiful language, yes. But language for the sake of language that does not actually give anything to the story, no thank you. Jane Austen, you were a woman ahead of your time, but I will watch the movies rather than sit through your books. Sorry folks.
So I have decided, as it is an important part of my culture, to share my likes and dislikes in books. Over the last year I have read upwards of twenty books, I think, so this will be one of those things that comes in installments whenever I feel like it. Also, if after reading these reviews, any of you have book suggestions that I should read, please please please post them. I am always looking for something new, and the best books I read come from recommendations.
In this post I will only review one book, because I gave such a large preface.
Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman
I love Neil Gaiman. He is just one of those authors, that always has something new and bizarre to write about and he sucks you in and doesn't let you go until you have been thoroughly satisfied by what could have been a horrible experience. A great storyteller, he always adds depth to his characters as well as his scenarios, with description and hilarious asides that make you perfectly aware that he is a true puppet master, rather than a writer who has been strung up by his characters. That said, I was hesitant to read Anansi Boys, as it turns out. Anansi Boys is a sequel to one of the best books I have ever read, American Gods. I wasn't sure that I would be able to stomach a sequel to a story that seemed perfectly resolved, so I put off reading it for a good long while. It sat on my shelf until I had nothing else to read.
When I finally picked it up, I was thrust into a story that truly had nothing to do with the previous book besides that one of the characters was common to both stories, and for this I was very grateful. It is a tale of the possibilities that arise when a man is born mortal to a little known god, Anansi. Anansi, is a trickster god, often portrayed as a spider, who loves nothing better than a good practical joke. His son, Fat Charlie, who is not fat at all, has the opposite qualities to his father, and he feels a great disdain about having ever been born to such an embarassing person. He distances himself from his father for many years until he learns by accident one night that his father has died.
Forced to go back home for the funeral, he learns that he had a brother (aptly named Spider) that was sent away in early childhood, and he tries to reconnect with him. He soon finds that his brother has all of the traits that Fat Charlie lacks, and realizes that Spider is the god that Fat Charlie will never be. He is from that point constantly haunted by the tricks and influences of Spider and is driven to the point of near insanity. Finally when it seems that the camel's back will soon be broken, Fat Charlie finds his way, and realizes that he has some worth. The adventures that the two brothers find themselves in are fantastical, and full of spice, and it is such a thrill following the misguided troubles that befall this disfunctional family. Expect a happy ending, but be patient because it will all seem to be lost before it can be gloriously regained and celebrated.
I highly recommend this book to those of you that enjoy reading fantasy, but don't want something that was strictly written for "young adults." That is the case with all of my favorite books by Neil Gaiman, though he does write a good deal of excellent children's books as well. The fantasy in this book is not your average bout of sorcery, and is shrouded in legend originally brought from Africa, which is a refreshing change from all the fantasy that preceded and followed in the footsteps of Harry Potter. Don't get me wrong. Loves the HP (Harry Potter, not Hewlitt Packard), but there is more to the human imagination, and it is nice to see it printed and well executed.
P.S. Though I highly highly (highly?) recommend American Gods, it is not necessary to read it before delving into Anansi Boys. Yes you should read it, but if the story of Anansi Boys interests you, go for it. American Gods shares absolutely no plot points with Anansi Boys. It only shares Anansi, and deftly so.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment