The day after the MFA excursion I took my friend to the Aquarium for free (another perk from work) (that rhymed). This marks the third time I have been to the Aquarium, and each time I am still taken in like a little kid, staring at the fish swimming aimlessly back and forth.
It is funny how, when watching animals, we as human beings automatically begin to anthropomorphize each movement they make. The expressions they have on their faces (even though in the case of fish, their expressions NEVER change), the attitude they seem to have about the things they are endeavoring to achieve...etc. My friend commented that fish always look like they are always a little bit late for wherever they are going. They are fast, but not too fast, and they have looks in their eyes like "Man, I wish my alarm hadn't stalled this morning. My boss is gonna fry me up...."
This particular trip to the Aquarium was chock full of large groups of children, each one of them behaving as though their view to the fish was way more important than mine, because they are the kids and adults don't need to have fun. We should just be happy to wait behind and get a half-tank view of everything. Not so. Kids, sorry, but I didn't make this trip especially so I could ensure your comfort. "I think I'll go to the Aquarium tomorrow so I can help people make their children a little happier today..." is not what went through my mind. Love kids. Kids in groups are bound to take over every situation like Napoleon conquered Europe. Only there is no Russia to keep them from getting any further. There are only possible responsible adults. One chaperone per 20,000 kids. Not quite enough.
Still, there is always an abundance of beautiful animals to keep my eyes occupied there, and the magic does not leave just because I no longer have the same mentality as my shorter, noisier fellow visitors. The huge turtle in the main tank is a wonder to behold, the octopus is still the most bad-ass creature there, and to be honest, it is adorable hearing ten kids simultaneously screeching that they see Dory, and that they want to find Squidwerd.
Fun fact: There are no live squid in tanks at the Aquarium. Only cuttlefish and our friend the octopus.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


An especially well-written post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good word - anthropomorphize. Brings back the days of IB...
ReplyDelete