Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bandit Culture: Berklee


My school has a culture.  I think every school must have a culture, but I have heard it said that a Berklee student can be spotted easily among a group of students from another college.  

I am not sure I fit into that category.  I love the looks that people take on; how individualistic, yet rock star, yet environmentally conscious, yet not hippie, the people can be.  When I walked down the sidewalk in front of the main building on the first day of school yesterday, I looked around me at the mob of students chatting away, steam rising from their mouths because of the cold weather.  Then I realized that it wasn't steam at all.  They were all smoking.  Typical.

I do not think I dress like an individual (Gap, American Eagle, H&M), nor do I try to be a rock star in my everyday life.  I am not overly environmentally conscious in my personal style choices at all.  And I don't smoke.  

So how do I fit in at this school of rockers/jazzers/blusers to be?  I like to do the same kind of music as many of them.  That technically makes me fit in.  

Berklee's subcultures are divided by what instrument you play and how you play it.  For instance, I would not fit in all that well with singers who primarily sing opera.  We do not share common interests.  A jazz guitarist would probably have some doubts about a metal guitarist.  The only thing that we can all agree on is that we have the right to follow our dreams.  A school full of dreamers.  That's what we are.  

It is pretty incredible that a parent's worst nightmare can turn into an entire community.  "Why not try being a doctor, or a lawyer?  You will starve playing the drums!  How will you support a family?"  At Berklee, we don't worry too much about things like "starving" or "making money" or "doing something respectable."  Of course we all want to make money, but we know it is not a given.  Of course we don't want to starve, but we recognize that there will be times that we just might.  

I suppose having a good understanding of the community helps me to be a part of it.  I do not feel overly removed, but sometimes I step back and wonder how it is that someone like me can fit in.  I fit in because I dreamed I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment